This weekend the 603 Alliance will be holding their caucus at the fairgrounds in Contoocook NH.
I’ve covered the 603 alliance before both in NH and outside of the state, the Caucus begins at 11:30 here are the rules from the site:
• All nationally-recognized Republican Presidential Candidates will be included in the Caucus.
• Participants must be registered New Hampshire Republicans or Undeclared voters.
• Voters are required to show a government-issued, photo ID as proof.
• If voters are new to N.H. and recently registered to vote, they must bring proof of registration to check-in (this can be obtained from your Town Clerk).
• Voters are requested to continue to participate in the caucus process until its completion.
• Voter check-in stations open at 10:00 a.m. and close at 11:30. Anyone on line at 11:30 will be permitted to continue with check-in and participate in the caucus.
• Non-voters may enter the arena as observers, but will be asked to stay in a designated area. ONLY valid voters, wearing official ID bracelets issued at check-in, will be permitted in the voting sections.
• Children are welcome to attend as observers. Children under age 15 may stay with their parents or guardians in the voting area (but may not vote).
• Media and Campaign Staffers must be credentialed at the check-in station before entering the arena.
• Candidate signs are permitted in the arena. However, if a candidate has been eliminated, then those signs must be removed.
• The decision of the Marshals and the Voting Monitors is final.
• Civility and courtesy is asked of all participants. Voters must adhere to the rules stated by the Monitor. Those not complying with proper conduct will be asked to leave.
• In the case of a tie, a caucus session will be held and another vote taken.
• In the event the winner of the caucus drops out of the race before the Primary Election on February 9, the runner-up will be considered the new winner of the caucus.
Now some of you might be saying, so it’s a caucus big deal it doesn’t mean anything, the primary isn’t for months. Au Contraire:
The idea reason for the existence of the 603 alliance and this caucus is to get conservatives to unite behind one candidate and members of the alliance have pledged to unite behind the winner. Even if just a portion of them keep that promise it will make a difference particularly in a crowded field.
But there is a real wild card in play here.
When this idea was first proposed Donald Trump had not announced and it was generally assumed that even if he did enter the field he would be a non factor.
However now Mr. Trump not only leads the polls but he has apparently energized a whole slew of voters who might normally go to other conservative candidates.
Three months ago the conventional wisdom was this event was made for a Walker or a Cruz or even a Perry or Paul but given the lay of the land today there is a real possibility that if the trump people show up in force he could come away with this thing.
It’s certainly not going to be boring.